An MOT certificate is a certificate that the law grants after successfully ensuring that it is meeting all the environmental and road safety standards. Once your vehicle completes 3 years of duration, you need to get an MOT certificate yearly.
Is it legal to drive without an MOT certificate in the UK?
The agency provides you with the MOT certificate in paper form and recently it has been changing the design of the document as according to people there were many defects in the document.
Work of the Authorized agency
MOT test includes checking the various details of your vehicle before making the MOT certificate. The agency makes sure that the doors, fuel system, horn, lights, breaks, bonnet, body structure, exhaust system, steering, registration plate, seatbelts, wheels, mirrors, wipers and washers meet the standards that are set by the law in the UK. If any one of these does not qualify the standards, then the agency does not issue the MOT certificate as it can damage the environment.
Usually, the authorized centres take almost an hour to complete these tests and prepare the MOT certificate. But for the test purpose, you need to leave your car at the authorized centre and take the delivery after they issue the MOT certificate. But you need to keep in mind that it can take longer if any of the parts of your vehicle do not qualify the standards as then the authorized centre will do the repairs work and then you will get the MOT certificate.
How to get an MOT certificate?
You will get a paper copy of the MOT certificate once your vehicle passes the test. You can also get the certificate online at the official website of the government.
For getting the online copy, you should have the registration number. With the help of your registration number, you can also find out the previous details of the vehicle as well as of the tests, but for accessing the certificates of the tests, you will have to enter the 11-digit reference number that is present on the vehicle logbook or popularly known as the v5c document.
Importance of an MOT Certificate
- You cannot underestimate the importance of the MOT certificate so you should keep the MOT certificate till the time you own a vehicle. You will need an MOT certificate when you are selling your vehicle or showing it to prospective buyers.
- While claiming an insurance claim, the insurance provider also asks you to present the MOT certificate.
- Also, according to the law in the country of the UK, there are more than 10000 cameras that recognize the number plate automatically. These cameras can check more than 50 million records daily. So, these cameras in accordance with the police can automatically check whether your vehicle has a valid MOT certificate or not. If you do not have a valid MOT certificate, then you will have to pay the penalty charges that are fixed under the law.
- If you want to park your vehicle in public parking areas, then also you need to have an MOT certificate for your vehicle, because if you do not have an MOT certificate, then you can only park in private garages and driveways.
- If you want any services of your vehicle, for this purpose also you will require an MOT certificate.
- For the purpose of renewing your road tax, you need a valid MOT Certificate. The law has made it mandatory to qualify for the MOT test to tax your vehicle.
Does the law allow you to drive without an MOT Certificate?
No, according to the law it is not legal to drive without an MOT as an MOT certificate is a necessity once your vehicle completes 3 years. If traffic police officials find you without driving an MOT, then according to the law you will have to pay penalty charges.
There is an exceptional condition where you can drive without an MOT certificate. If you have a pre-booking at the authorized centre for the test, then only you can drive without an MOT. But, make sure that you have the appointment slip with yourself as you will have to present the appointment slip instead of the MOT certificate if you are asked by traffic police.
You can avoid driving without an MOT certificate by preparing it again from the centre before the period expires.
People of the country have a right to report the police and the agency if they find that you are driving a vehicle without an MOT certificate and they can also lodge a complaint against you even when you park in a public parking area without an MOT. They can either call the agency with the helpline number or they can also lodge a complaint online. They need to mention the model number, the colour of the vehicle, the number plate and the location of the vehicle. Since their identity is anonymous, they can easily lodge a complaint.
Since the law is in the interest of the people, it provides 2 to 3 chances to people. They charge them points every time they are found guilty of breaking the traffic signal or parking in the public parking area without a Mot. When the agency charges those points, the person needs to pay the penalty fee only but after 3 chances, the agency along with charging the penalty cancels the license of the driver. The agency charges a different penalty fee for various things such as for breaking the traffic signal the penalty charge is different and for not having an MOT Certificate, the penalty charge is different.
So, the owners need to understand that driving without an MOT certificate is an illegal and criminal activity and if they are found guilty, the agency will have to take serious actions against them and the agency can also ban you from driving the vehicle up to 2 years and ban from driving for such a long period can have serious repercussions on your future work and job.